Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Simple Little Striped Shrug




This is just a rough pattern of what I have done for this shrug. I looked and looked for something I liked that wouldn't take a lot of time and to do what was asked of me! My girls know what they like.

This pattern is very easily adjustable. It's mostly a matter of measuring who the finished product is for. I used a size 10 US needle,and a 9 US for the neck ribbing and Bernat Baby Jacquards. My daughter is in a size 10-12, and I knit kind of loose. I didn't do a gauge, sorry about that. I used less than one skein.

I cast on 32sts, and did K2, P2 for 10 rows slipping first st of each row through out shrug, this makes an easier line up for sewing.
K1 row
P1 row for a total length from beginning of 6 inches.(mine was for elbow length so you can add here or make shorter)
On every knit row I did- Slip one, knit front and back of next st (increase made) knit accross to last two sts, increase in next st, knit last st,
Slipping first st, purl next row. Increase as many rows as you want. I added about 12 sts.
I then knit accross however many inches for the back, measuring from sholder blade to shoulder blade. Once I had the right length I then started the decrease rows, slip first st, ssk, knit accross to last three sts, k2tog, knit last st, then purl the purl rows, until you have the starting amount of sts. knit stockinette sts (knit knit rows, purl purl rows) for same amount as beginning side before increasing. I then did the 10 rows of 2x2 ribbing.
Sew up from ribbing what you would like for sleeves depending on how long you make your shrug, since mine is shorter, I only sewed up about maybe 6 inches on each side. You want to make sure you leave enough room for putting on..Measuring is VERY good!
I then used a circular needle 9mm, and picked up stitches around the opening to make a 2x2 ribbing around.
Please feel free to ask any questions. I know this isn't really a clear pattern. I am just giving a rough estimate of what I made.

4 comments:

  1. I wish that I knew how to knit. This is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. does this use one skein? super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used less than a skein... not sure how much exactly, I had used up a little before I started on something else and had a small amount left over when I was done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks perfect for me as a beginer and a granddaughter who wants a party cardy

    ReplyDelete