Thursday, September 10, 2009

Blood and Dark Chocolate Beanie



I have a love for the movie Blood and Chocolate..so the name these colors remind me a little of that movie. Still trying to get my hands on a copy of the book!


This hat is a great project to have for winter. I used the Caron Simply Soft Eco, double stranded so it is very soft and warm. One I used a black and red held together throughout for a tweedy look. Possibilities are endless!



materials: J hook, your choice of yarn, mine was Caron Simply soft Eco

With two strand of yarn held together
Rnd 1)ch5 sl st to form ring, ch1, 11hdc in ring join to top of first hdc. (11hdc)
Rnd 2) ch2(does NOT count as first st now and throughout) 2dc in same st and in each st around, join to top of first dc
Rnd3) ch2, 2dc in same st, * dc in next st, 2dc in next st, repeat from * around, join to top of first dc
Rnd 4) ch2, 2dc in same st, * dc in 2sts, 2dc in next st, repeat form * around, join to top of first dc
Rnd 5) ch2, 2dc in same st, * dc in next 3sts, 2dc in next st, repeat from * around, join to top of first dc
Rnd 6-11) ch2, dc in same st, dc in each st around, join to top of first dc. (here is where it is nice to add a strip of CC if desired, I did one row of red on rnd 11)
Rnd 12) ch1, sc in same st and in next 19sts, 2hdc in next st, * hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, repeat from * 6 more times, sc in remaining sts, join to first sc
Rnd 13) ch1, sc in same st and next 19sts, 2hdc in next st, * hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, repeat from * accross hdc's of rnd 12, sc in next sc and accross to end of row, join
Rnd 14) ch1, sc in same st and in next 19sts, hdc in next hdc and in each hdc accross to last hdc, sc in next sc and in remaining sc around, join
fasten off weave in ends. Please feel free to use your own creations as you like, but please link back to my pattern, Thanks... Happy Hooking.

21 comments:

  1. I like it a lot i think i will knit one for my son... or maybe one for me too... congratulations great job!!!! a big hug from Chile Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much from sharing this nice pattern. i always look forward to seeing new things posted here. :) keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pattern!
    I love this hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, I can't wait to try one for my girls, they will love this! :) Thanks for making it free! -glad I stumbled on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute, this one will be the next project I start, love the color....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I love your hats! However I'm a little new to crocheting. I can do all the stitches but I'm trying to adjust these to fit my 9 month old. I"m kind of guessing on how to adjust the pattern but am not being very successful. Is there a trick to adjusting these patterns to smaller heads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can use a smaller hook and or use ond strand of yarn instead of two. You can also do less increase rounds, but you would have to take away some stitches from the brim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous name (I love that movie too!) for a fabulous hat. I know just who I am making this for as a Christmas present.
    I am so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there- found this pattern when Googling- love it- but I'm having problems with it. I'm used to crocheting in the round so this is a slight adjustment for me- I keep ending up with a hole at the end of my round... am I supposed to be crocheting into the chains or skipping over them to join into the first st?? Thanks for your help-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there! I did your Olivia's Butterfly hat for myself and LOVED it. Can't wait to try one of these for my niece.

    I wanted to ask you if you've gotten yourself a copy of Blood and Chocolate yet? I realize you posted this back in September, but I had to ask as I am in charge of Teen Services at a library and Blood and Chocolate has been one of my favorite books for years. If you haven't gotten it already, they recently reprinted it, so it should be easy to find in a chain bookstore.

    Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome hat and I was curious if we could use a size smaller hook? if it would effect the outcome of the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been trying to make this hat and having the most difficult time. Mine comes out big enough for a large man and the top is flat. First one I unraveled. 2nd I just kept going thinking it would be as big as I thought. The 3rd one just has me very discouraged. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey mama I love to crochet and I love your patterns! Keep up the good work you do and you inspire me to keep on making thingsfrom the heart. Keep the patterns going!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lynne - same thing happened to me. I unraveled the first and used an H hook. It still came out just a little big, but I kinda like it not too fitted because I used wool. I didn't notice there was a gauge on the pattern, so not sure how to measure before you start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would this fit an adult? Sounds like it from some of the posts..

    ReplyDelete
  16. How many skeins would you suggest using? Looks to be about 2 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will the brim still stay "up" if I only crochet with one piece of yarn? I am using variegated yarn and if I hold two I don't think I will achieve the look I am wanting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Total beginners' question: I didn't see any "turns" is that because I don't turn after for example, for each ...ch2, ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this pattern, i love these hats and i was tired of paying target for them.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since I'm using a bulkier yarn on this I knew a smaller hook was in order, but I grabbed half a MM too small so I frogged it. Now I'm going to experiment with double strands of bulky, and the small hook! Good thing I've got time to play around before Christmas! Haha ... Might just have to make a few for myself too (: I love this pattern! (And the movie too!) Thanks so much for posting it (:

    -- kp

    ReplyDelete