Thursday, October 21, 2010

Maine Toddler Beanie



Using a G hook and Caron Simply Soft

Rnd 1) ch2, 11hdc in second ch from hook, sl st to top of first hdc (11hdc)
Rnd 2) ch1, 2hdc in same st and in each st around, sl st to top of first hdc (22hdc)
Rnd 3) ch1, 2hdc in same st, 1hdc in next st, * 2hdc in nest st, 1hdc in nest st, repeat from * around (32hdc)
Rnd 4) ch1, 2hdc in same st, 1hdc in next 2stS, * 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 2sts, repeat from * around (43hdc)
Rnd 5) ch1, 2hdc in same st, 1hdc in next 3sts, * 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 3sts, repeat from * around
Rnd 6) ch1, 2hdc in same st, 1hdc in next 4sts, * 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 4sts, repeat from * around
Rnds 7-19) ch1, hdc in same st as joining, hdc in each st around. (I made color changes on rnds 12-16)
DO NOT fasten off

Earflap
Row 1) ch1, hdc in same st and in next 9sts
Row 2-3) repeat row 1
Row 4) ch 1, hdc first 2sts together, hdc across to last 2sts, hdc last 2sts together
Row 5-6) repeat row 4
Row 7) ch1, hdc 2sts together twice
Row 8) ch1, hdc last 2 sts together, sl fasten off.

skipping 20sts, repeat for second earflap

I like the look of braiding my string, so I fasten off after each flap. Some might want to skip this step and ch however many you want at the end of each flap instead of fastening off.

Attach yarn at back of hat with a sl st, ch 1, sc in same st and in each st around working evenly around each earflap. Fasten off and attach string to each ear flap

9 comments:

  1. i love the colors and design. so pretty and will be perfect for the cold weather sure to arrive soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great and exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. Once I have them made, I will post a picture and link it to your pattern! Thanks!

    www.oursevendwarfs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beginner crochet and I just attempted this pattern for my son. It's so cute! Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a pattern to fit a 19" baby head. What are the measurements for this hat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute but I was wondering what the measurements are for this hat after it is completed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying this pattern right now. You can tell how wide it will be by the end of round 6, and if it's not big enough you can just keep increasing by 1 the number of stitches to do 1 hdc in between the 2 hdc stitches. If it's big enough before round 6, stop doing 2 hdc stitches at whichever round is big enough and start doing 1 hdc per stitch all the way around to get started on the sides at that point instead.

    Mind you, I haven't actually tried this (but am about to, 6 rounds isn't enough with my overly tight stitches), so take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I just used this as a starter and it was great. I was trying to find inspiration and this did it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made 6 of these for children in my Toddler Montessori class and they fit great! The children were between 20 months and 2 1/2 yrs. I also made an adult one ( for my 24" head!) by going up to an I hook and adding one more increase round after round 6. Thanks to your pattern, all our ears are cozy!

    ReplyDelete