Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rohirrim Bonnet




I made this bonnet up for a swap that I did on Ravelry in the LOTR (Lord of the Rings) group. The Realm of Rohan and the People of Rohirrim were my inspiration.

I used a G hook and worsted weight yarn. Changing hook size and yarn will change the size of the bonnet. Or you can simply add more chains.

Row 1) Leaving a long ch for seaming, ch 65, dc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch accross.
Row 2) ch2, (counts as first dc now and through out) dc in next st and in each st accross.
Row 3-11) Repeat row 2. You can add more rows for a wider bonnet.
Row 12) ch2, dc in next st, * skip next st, dc in next st, keeping hook towards front go back and dc in skipped st, (this creats an X like stitch) repeat from * accross to last 2sts, dc in last 2 sts.
Row 13) ch2, * skip next st, dc in next st, keeping hook towards fron dc in skipped st, repeat from * accross to last st, dc in last st.
Row 14) ch1, sc in first st and in each st accross. DO NOT fasten off
Folding bonnet in half use long ch to seam up the base ch, weave in ends
Pick up yarn where you left off and ch1, sc evenly accross bottom of bonnet. Fasten off, weave in ends.
I used a double strand of yarn with a larger hook for ties by chaining about 45-50 ch
and attached to sides of bonnet towards the front.

Flower
ch5, sl st in first ch, * ch5, sl st in first st, repeat from * 3 more times, or add a few more or less for petals. attatch to bonnet.
Please let me know if there are any mistakes you might find or typos. I sent this out before I wrote it down and hopefully I remembered numbers right!
Happy Hooking

19 comments:

  1. This is such a cute bonnet! And such an adorable little model. (: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all of your patterns, this is definitely going to be my next project. Your patterns are always really easy to follow and I love how fast they come together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank so much! I was just wondering when you would have some amazing new project to try! My daughter will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness, this is just beautiful! thanks for sharing, val!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all very welcome. I have been a little slow lately.... winter is a drag..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, you are the best! You are such a blessing,I love all of your patterns, can't wait to try this one...God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! and yes, Maine is great!!!... :o) It's actually nice today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this bonnet!

    Vallie you have received the sunshine award! Come and get it from my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding? I bought a hooded hat pattern (and I do love it), but here is a FREE cutie! *THANKS* sooo much!!!! LOVIN' yer blog and patterns~WOW!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern! Thanks so much for sharing it! I made one to donate to the University of Michigan CS Mott Hospital's children's cancer center :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable little bonnet! I'm going to play around with the color and size a little to make an easter bonnet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the hat but I have one question. What are the dimensions of the finished hat? I've started making it but it looks too small. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO much fun to make! I am a super beginner but was able to follow this pattern very easily. I used some other patterns for a different look to the flowers on one side, and added a butterfly on the other. My 5 yr old LOVES it! I made the hood red too so she is excited as all get out to pretend to be Lil Red Riding Hood:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your shout out for LOTR! I did notice some typos - nothing major. If you have a spell check they will be noticed: accross=across

    ReplyDelete
  15. could you please tell if this comes in other sizes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going to try to make this this week. Was looking for a pattern for my great niece - this looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wondering how much yarn I will need to purchase to make this adorable hat for a 5 year old?

    ReplyDelete